Earth and Space Science Data Interoperability - Past Achievements
- TG participated in organization of the International Conference "Data Intensive System Analysis for Geohazard Studies" which was held in the Sochi region in Russia, on 18–21 July 2016 (http://sochi2016.gcras.ru/).
The Conference was devoted to observations, detection of and modeling geophysical extremes; development, implementation and maintenance of methods and instruments for monitoring; evolution of natural systems towards extreme conditions; assessment of global- and local-scale hazardous phenomena; challenges in data processing and analysis using pattern recognition, statistical and other methods relevant to large data processing; applications of geo-databases and GIS.
In the framework of the Sochi Conference the TG organized the Data Citation Workshop in the, devoted to the modern issues of citation of geoscience data. This workshop is organized in the framework of the started cooperation with CODATA TG "Data Citation Standards and Practices".
- The TG members developed a software package for calculation of internal magnetic field for 2013.0–2016.0 epochs using core magnetic field model, derived from Swarm satellite data of the highest quality, to be published in the Second Edition of the Atlas.
- Operation of the new INTERMAGNET geomagnetic observatory “Saint Petersburg” (IAGA code SPG) of the highest quality standard was further promoted that resulted in data publications:
Geomagnetic data recorded at Geomagnetic Observatory Saint Petersburg (IAGA code: SPG). ESDB repository. Geophysical Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 2016. doi:10.2205/SPG2012
Soloviev, A., Dobrovolsky, M., Kudin, D., & Sidorov, R. Minute values of X, Y, Z components and total intensity F of the Earth's magnetic field from Geomagnetic Observatory Saint Petersburg (IAGA code: SPG). ESDB repository. Geophysical Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 2016. doi:10.2205/SPG2012min
In April 2016 the “Saint-Petersburg” observatory was officially assigned the status of INTERMAGNET observatory.
- TG organized the meeting in Paris (ICSU/CODATA premises, May 2015) in the framework of preparation of the Second edition of the Atlas of the Earth's Magnetic Field. It put together leading researches in magnetic data studies and applications from France, Russia, Canada and UK, who represented different types of interested bodies including data science (ICSU), editorial (CGMW), industrial (CNES), fundamental research (IPGP, IPG-Strasbourg, GC RAS) and educational (EDNES) communities.
- TG working meeting was organized in Prague (Czech Republic) in July 2015 on the occasion of the 26th IUGG General Assembly.
- Multidisciplinary GIS for geoscience data was extended with new data and algorithms for spatial data analysis, resulting in development of the new web-application:
Nikolov B.P., Zharkikh J.I., Soloviev A.A., Krasnoperov R.I., Agayan S.M. Integration of data mining methods for Earth science data analysis in GIS environment // Russian Journal of Earth Sciences. 2015. Vol. 15, ES4004. doi: 10.2205/2015ES000559
- Operation of new geomagnetic observatory “Klimovskaya” (IAGA code KLI) of the highest quality INTERMAGNET standard was further promoted that resulted in data publications:
Geomagnetic data recorded at Geomagnetic Observatory Klimovskaya (IAGA code: KLI). ESDB repository. Geophysical Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 2015. doi: 10.2205/kli2011
Soloviev, A., Dobrovolsky, M., Kudin, D., Sidorov, R. Minute values of X, Y, Z components and total intensity F of the Earth's magnetic field from Geomagnetic Observatory Klimovskaya (IAGA code: KLI). ESDB repository. Geophysical Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 2015. doi: 10.2205/kli2011min
Soloviev A.A., Sidorov R.V., Krasnoperov R.I., Grudnev A.A., Khokhlov A.V. Klimovskaya: A New Geomagnetic Observatory // Geomagnetism and Aeronomy. Vol. 56, No. 3, 2016. pp. 342—354. doi: 10.1134/S0016793216030154
- The digital projection system with a spherical display was developed:
Rybkina A.I., Bobkov A.E., Nikiforov О.V., Pyatygina O.O. Hardware and software system for visualization of geophysical data on a spherical screen // Scientific Visualization. 2015. Vol. 7. No. 2. pp. 38–49 http://sv-journal.org/2015-2/04.php?lang=en
'The Atlas of the Earth's Magnetic Field'
A major activity of this Task Group has been around The Atlas of the Earth's Magnetic Field which involves a significant exercise in data collection, integration and poses challenges of interoperability.
Partnership Conference "Geophysical observatories, multifunctional GIS and data mining" on 30 September - 3 October 2013 in Kaluga, Russia
Award for the Best Poster received at the 23rd International CODATA Conference on 28-31 October 2012 in Taipei (Taiwan)