Deadline Approaching: Call for Nominations and Applications: Editor-in-Chief, Data Science Journal, Apply by 14 April 2019
Date: Mar 25, 2019
Applications can be made through the Google form at https://goo.gl/forms/ey60x1N2jO9YM1rY2
The deadline for applications is 12 midnight GMT on Sun 14 April.
The Data Science Journal is overseen by CODATA and is a locus for discussions and research around the science of data for the Open Science, FAIR data and Research Data Management communities. It was founded by CODATA in 2002. Since moving to the Ubiquity Press platform and under the direction of Sarah Callaghan, the reach and impact of the Data Science Journal has made considerable progress.
- to set the strategic direction of the Journal and develop policies to support the strategy (in collaboration with the editorial board)
- to advocate for and promote the journal in general conversation and day-to-day work and by soliciting papers of interest to the community
- to manage the editorial process (assisted by editors selected from the editorial board)
- in coordination with CODATA and with the Ubiquity Press managing editor, the EiC, selects and manages the Editorial Board
- respond to initial queries about the journal (please see already drafted boilerplate text regarding time to publication, APCs, requests for waivers etc.)
- perform regular management tasks such as reminding editors to look at the status of their papers and make decisions/invite new reviewers/etc. as appropriate
- assign papers to other editors according to their interests and workload
- approve other editors’ decisions regarding papers
- send papers to be copy-edited/typeset as appropriate
- to adhere to COPE Core Practices (https://publicationethics.org/files/editable-bean/COPE_Core_Practices_0.pdf)
- to shepherd submissions through the publication system, assisting in locating suitable peer reviewers, and making judgements on the quality of the submitted articles according to their area of expertise
- to distribute Calls for Papers as widely as possible and to promote the journal whenever possible to gain submissions
- to carry out occasional peer review for the journal
- to let the rest of the editorial board know of conferences/events that could be used as journal promotion opportunities (especially relevant if they will be attending the event)
- to provide editorial advice/opinion to fellow editors on submissions, if required
- to be available to contribute to a yearly editorial board review, should it be required
- to help promote specific publications and press releases,
- to consider submitting to the journal their own publications
The Editor-in-Chief of the Data Science Journal is an ex officio member of the CODATA Executive Committee and CODATA provides a small fund to support travel and promotion of the journal.