Call for CODATA Task Group Proposals, 2016: deadline 25 July - UPDATE
Date: Jul 8, 2016
In response to many requests, CODATA has agreed to extend the deadline for Task Group proposals. Proposals for Task Groups should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org on the form included in that document no later than COB on Monday 25 July 2016. This is an absolutely final deadline.
The attached document provides detail of the required scope of such Task Groups as well as an indication of some priority areas.
The call is open to new Task Groups or to existing Task Groups to renew their activities.
Task Groups are an important means through which CODATA delivers on its mission and Strategic Plan. It is imperative that Task Groups should have clearly defined outputs that contribute to one or more of the strategic priorities that are laid out in that plan.
The three priority areas in the CODATA Strategy are as follows:
- To promote Open Data principles, policies and practices;
- To advance the frontiers of data science and its adaptation to scientific research;
- To build capacity for improving skills and the functioning of science systems (particularly in low and middle income countries - LMICs)
The call suggests some high priority topics under each of these headings (see the call document for further details):
Open data principles, policies and practices
- developing good practice and recommendations around data principles and policies;
- examining the limits of openness;
- synthesizing and advancing work on the benefits of data sharing;
- exploring the theme of data diplomacy to consider what international agreements can promote the more open availability of data.
Frontiers of Data Science
- Reproducibility in research
- Statistical, epistemological and ethical challenges of Big Data
- Criteria for selection and preservation of research data
- Development of glossaries, data dictionaries or ontologies
- Data integration and data strategies for international, transdisciplinary research programmes
Capacity building, data skills and education
- analyzing requirements for data education
- developing and refining the curriculum for ‘research data science’;
- examining and articulating the processes and standards for the creation of reusable online materials and the development of those materials;
- examining and addressing issues around access to research software, the maintenance and development of Open Source research software.
Task Group proposals addressing these or similar issues are particularly encouraged. This does not mean that Task Group proposals addressing areas not described below will be considered out of scope: we invite and encourage innovative ideas from the CODATA community.