CNIC - Full Details
We are currently updating this page.
Key data about CNIC (current as of November 2013):
- CSTNET (China Science & Technology Network) has a nationwide network connecting 12 regional subcenters and 20 independent institutes via high-speed links, covering more than 30 provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities.
- The supercomputing environment of CAS, consists of one main center in Beijing, nine subcenters, 18 CAS institute centers and 11 GPU centers across China. The Supercomputing Center supports research on computational physics, computational chemistry, materials science, life science, drug design, geophysics, fluid dynamics, climate modeling, astronomy and agriculture.
- The scientific data center maintains a 24-PB storage environment. The scientific database has been accessed by more than 58 million visitors with more than 610 TB of downloaded data.
- The NSC (Network-based Science Communication) platform currently consists of four regional service centers in China with average daily page views of more than 1.88 million. Virtual Science Museums of China, a portal of the NSC platform, currently has over 230,000 page views per day.
- The CAS ARP (Academia Resource Planning) system supports 133 on-line ARP modules and the academic website group platform sustains 688 independent websites.
Together with partners from foreign universities, institutes and enterprises, CNIC aims to be a powerful hub in the international research community. It has established close ties with international partners, including the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), Forschungszentrum Jülich etc.
Meanwhile, CNIC is actively engaged in many international cooperation projects like the Global Ring Network for Advanced Application Development (GLORIAD), the international ITER fusion project and projects of the Framework Programme funded by the European Commission. About 20 researchers and engineers at CNIC have executive positions in international science or Internet organizations, including the WDS-Steering Committee (WDS-SC), Pacific Rim Applications and Grid Middleware Assembly (PRAGMA), Asia-Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC) and Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). CNIC is also an ICANN Engagement Center, secretariat of CODATA-China and China home for Asia Pacific Top Level Domain Association (APTLD).
In the past 10 years, CNIC has hosted several influential international conferences, such as the 10th International CODATA conference, ICANN46, APNIC36, and the 9th IEEE International Conference on e-Science, all of which have contributed to shaping a better future for CNIC.
Scientific Data Center
Scientific Data Center (SDC) is the support facility in charge of the construction, management, operation and maintenance of CAS Informatization Data Application Environment, and has been taking the lead in implementing the the CAS Scientific Database Project for more than 20 years, and serves as the support center for the construction, management, sharing service of the Scientific Database. As an important component of informatization infrastructure, SDC provides storage services, data services and related application technology services for the entire CAS, and is the comprehensive service center for the storage management, long-term preservation, sharing and application of important data resources of CAS. Meantime, SDC hosts the Secretariat of Committee on Data for Science and Technology (CODATA) and the CAS Secretariat for World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), which are important channels for China to carry out scientific data cooperation and exchanges at home and abroad. The vision of SDC is striving to become an important facilitator of exchange and application of scientific data resources, key technology supplier during lifecycle of scientific data, and leader in transforming scientific data into knowledge service.