General Assembly 2018 - Gaborone, Botswana
The 31st CODATA General Assembly will take place in Gaborone, Botswana, on 9-10 November after the International Data Week 2018.
The GA will take place at University of Botswana, 4775 Notwane Rd, Gaborone, Botswana.
DRAFT Agenda (Download pdf version)
At least once every two years, the CODATA President convenes a General Assembly to review progress and plan for the future. Normally, the General Assembly immediately follows the CODATA Conference: in 2018 the General Assembly will be held at the University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana.
Participants include CODATA Officers, Executive Committee members, delegates from national and ICSU Union members, task and working group representatives, and spokespersons for other CODATA activities. Observers may be invited, for example, from ICSU and its bodies or from potential new member countries and organisations. Anyone wishing to be an observer should make the request to the Executive Director to ensure adequate seating is available.
In addition to overseeing the general governance of CODATA, and receiving financial and secretariat reports, the General Assembly provides a forum for national, union, and task group representatives report on their data-related activities and requirements. Other activities include review of membership applications, voting for Officers and Executive Committee members, conference planning, and selection of task groups. Members also participate in strategic planning and direct the Executive Committee to achieve specific objectives.
Day One: Friday 9 November
9:00-11:00 Reporting Session 1
- Executive Director’s Report - Simon Hodson, Executive Director
- CODATA Initiatives (Data Integration, African Open Science Platform, Data Schools, Data Policy Committee, Data Science Journal): Geoffrey Boulton, CODATA President and Simon Hodson, Executive Director
- Questions and discussion
- Financial Report: John Broome, Treasurer.
Questions and discussion.
11:30-13:00 CODATA Governance: Revised CODATA Constitution
Presentation of the proposed revised constitution.
Voting on the full revised constitution, incorporating any accepted amendments.
14:00-16:00 Report and Strategy Session
- President’s Report on State of CODATA and laying out introduction to the strategy for the future
- Strategic Presentations and Discussion: Geoffrey Boulton, Tony Hey and Barend Mons.
16:30-17:30 National Committees and Unions – Activities and national priorities: Bonnie Carroll, Secretary General, and John Broome, Treasurer.
Questions and discussion.
17:30 Adjourn Day One
Day Two: Saturday 10 November
08:30-10:30 CODATA Governance: Elections
- Presentations by candidates for President (5 minutes + 3 questions each)
- Presentations by candidates for Vice-President (3 minutes + 2 questions each)
- Presentations by candidates for Ordinary Member (2 minutes)
11:00-12:30 Selection of Task Groups
- Short presentations by candidate Task Groups (3 minutes each plus 2 questions).
12:30-13:00 Special Resolution
Passing the gavel
General Assembly closed by the new President
13:00-14:00 Lunch (Old and New Executive Committees)
14:00-16:00 First meeting of the new CODATA Executive Committee